Sunday, July 31, 2016

Day One to Reno for Hot August Nights 2016

Day 1 of my trip to Reno is in the books, and I'm relaxing in my hotel room here in Las Vegas.  One thing I've noticed about hotels - why are their Internet connections not much faster than dial-up?  Do you folks know how long it took to upload these photos for today?  Frustrating.  Oh well, I'll get over it.

So I hit the road around 8:30 this morning after finishing loading up "stuff".  I put the Mustang on the trailer the night before, so it was ready to go.  I have to remind myself that I'm not heading out to the wilderness somewhere, and if I forget anything, I can get it again wherever I'm going.  A lesson I have to relearn while packing for almost every trip.

Getting ready to go to Reno.  The car will come off the trailer once I get to Carson City

The only stop-n-go I ran into was on the north side of Tucson.  It appears a small sedan and an SUV tried to occupy the same lane at the same time.  The SUV was parked in the median pointing in the wrong direction, and there was scorched rubber crossing two lanes of traffic.  No EMS were on the scene, but a couple of AZ Highway Patrol were there trying to make heads or tails of the incident.

Tucson traffic due to accident

Made it out of Tucson, went through Phoenix
Downtown Phoenix seen from the east

and headed towards Wickenberg on Highway 74.  Saw a beaut along the way, or is that a butte?

Butte southeast of Wickenberg

I know Arizona has some pretty lax gun laws and truly believes in the 2d Amendment, but seriously? This will make the gun grabbers happy  :)

Vote for Shooter!

One thing about trailering a vehicle...I keep seeing it out of the corner of my eye, and for a split second I wonder why that SOB is riding so close to the rear bumper of my truck.  




Once I got north of Wickenberg, it was practically all up hill to I-40.  Made one stop for a break and took this picture of my Mustang with the Burro Creek bridge in the background.  This is headed north on Highway 93.

Joshua Trees while headed north on Highway 93

I made it to I-40 while practically sucking down over half a tank of gas between Wickenberg and Kingman.  Got the "Low Fuel" warning, and put 27 gallons of gas in a 26 gallon tank.  Must have been really low  :)  Good thing I'm carrying a spare 6 gallons of fuel in a container in the bed of the truck.

Headed north on Highway 93 out of Kingman, and made it to Nevada.  Grabbed a hotel room near Nellis AFB, and got some sleep.  It's another 8+ hours tomorrow until I get up to Carson City.  Until my next posting....


No comments:

Post a Comment