Friday, July 29, 2016

It's time to get ready for Reno Hot August Nights 2016.  I am going to trailer the Mustang up to Reno with a one night layover in Las Vegas, and then to Carson City the next day.  Once I get to Carson City, I will be accompanied by my father-in-law to take in some of the events of HAN.

Before heading out, I had to replace the windshield wipers and wanted to replace the front bumper.  As far as I know, these two items are original to the car.  Since I have owned the car, I have not replaced either of these two things.

Anyways, I bought a reproduction bumper from Mustangs Unlimited.  It's a Golden Legion brand and fit pretty well.  I had to "coax" one of the brackets to fit onto the bumper once I got it mounted, but it all came out pretty good.  Nothing that a pry bar and a Dremel tool can't take care of!  Before mounting the bumper, I cleaned the underside of it, sprayed it with a primer, and two coats of Rustoleum Sail Blue paint.  It is close to the Grabber Blue paint on the car, so it won't cause some color clash from reflection.  Picky, I know.
The original bumper

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

Old bumper on top, new bumper below

Prepping the new bumper

All painted and ready to install

New bumper ready to go


With the wipers, it was pretty much remove and replace.  I put a towel around the cowl area and used a claw hammer to remove the wiper arms.  Since I had done this recently when I had an issue with the wiper motor, the wiper arms came off easily.  I believe these are original because they still have the "TRICO" name on the underside of the wiper arms which face towards the cowl.

Old passenger side wiper

Old driver side wiper

Old and new wipers side by side

Next up - loading up the trailer and heading out to Las Vegas for the first night of travel.


No comments:

Post a Comment