Monday, August 1, 2016

Day 3 in Carson City and A Quick Trip to Summit Racing

Day 3 started with heading over to the local tire shop in Carson City to see if the flat tire from the truck could be repaired.  Of course, it couldn't.  I picked up a rusty nail somewhere and it turned sideways and punch a hole into the sidewall.  Just my luck.  And, the tire store didn't have the same size tires in stock.  But for $850, they will sell me 4 new tires in a more common size so if I have any more issues, the tires won't be so hard to find.  I put them on hold and went to the local Wal-Mart with a tire shop.  They also didn't have the same size tires in stock, but would have them by Wednesday.  Thanks to Jerry and Eric in Carson City, I'll have a couple of new tires for my trip home.
Anyways, after doing tire battle, I headed up to Sparks to do a little shopping at Summit Racing.  I bought some goodies, but had to restrain myself.  I promised my wife I wouldn't wander the aisles there, but it was so hard to resist.  Luckily, I maintained control.  Only dropped $105, and because of Hot August Nights, everything was 10% off.

The Summit Racing storefront

When I walked back out into the parking lot, I saw this beauty parked.  I just had to take a closer look at this car.  I was wondering if it really had a 427 under the hood, so I popped it and took a look.  Not really!  I wouldn't want anyone doing that to my car, and I'm not going to risk life and limb to do something so stupid.  I took a couple of pictures and was hoping the owner would come out and be willing to show and talk.  Alas, no one came out, so I left and headed back to Carson City.

Beautiful 67 in Summit parking lot

Never did find out if there really was a 427 inside.

I grabbed some lunch, and headed back to my hotel.  There were a couple of guys detailing their cars in the parking lot - a couple of Chevys.  One was a '69/70 Chevelle, and the other one was some mid 60's sedan.  Neither one even acknowledged my presence when I pulled in and parked, so I hope they enjoyed their alone time in the sun.  I'm a car guy, and would have enjoyed chatting with them, but I guess it was not meant to be.

I went up to my room and tried to motivate myself to go outside and at least start cleaning the interior of the Mustang.  With that rear window greenhousing the interior, I was not looking forward to it.  I finally bit the bullet and headed outside to the parking lot.  I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but this hotel has an underground parking garage, and hardly anyone uses it.  I went back inside and asked the guy at the desk who was allowed to park their vehicles in the underground garage.  He told me any registered guest can, as long as they keep it quiet.  I asked him if it was okay if I took my car down there to clean the interior.  He said as long as I didn't dump a bunch of trash into the trashcans down there (where else would I put the trash?), it was okay.  All I had to do was wipe the interior down and clean the glass.  No roasting in the sunlight for me!


Underground parking AKA shade

I pulled into a spot and went at it.  I was done in about 1.5 hours.  I didn't get into all the nooks and crannies of the interior, but no big deal.  It's a daily driver and it's going to collect dust.  At least I didn't lose 10 pounds of water weight getting the job done!

Getting ready to start the job

After I was done, I headed back upstairs, got clean and headed over to my father-in-law's house for a spaghetti dinner and adult company.  Tomorrow it's off to Reno for registration and checking out some of the sights.  Won't stay too late because Joe (my father-in-law) has babysitting duties with his granddaughter while his wife entertains some lady friends.  Looking forward to seeing the sights while we can!


No comments:

Post a Comment