Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 6 - Weather is Hot, Me Not So Much

Today I decided to head on over to the swipe meet, errr, I mean SWAP meet and car sales.  It's advertised as taking place in the air conditioned confines of the Reno Livestock Center, so it sounded good to me.  I'm living off of ibuprofen to help take care of the aches and pains I'm suffering from probably eating some bad food on the way.  Before I went to Reno, I headed over to Home Depot and bought a roll of heat reflecting tape.  I pulled my carburetor off to install the 1" spacer from Summit Racing, and then put the tape all along the undersides of the float bowls and up the sides.  With the air cleaner on, the tape can't be seen, so it doesn't look like some Frankenstein freak of a carburetor.  With the taller spacer, I had to change the length of the accelerator linkage, and the car fired right up.  Of course, I missed tightening up a fuel line connection, and it sprayed a good amount of fuel until I shut it off.  A couple of twists with a couple of wrenches, and it was all good.

So I headed over to the Livestock center to take a look around.  The car sale was taking place on the inside of the building, and the swap meet/drifting/autocross was taking place outside.  It was easily in the mid to high 90's outside and it was taking a toll on me.  I sucked it up and walked around most of the swap meet and spent about 10 minutes of watching the autocross.  When I noticed it was the same 4 or 5 cars going around, I went on my way.  I bought a braided ground strap for my car, and a heavier duty Schrader valve core removal tool to have handy.  For some reason, I can never find a core removal tool when I need one so usually use a pair of fine point needle nose pliers.  This should work just fine, and I'll put it in my odd-ball tools tool box.

I went inside and took a look around the cars up for sale.  Took some pictures, and then prepared to head on back to Carson City.  I wanted to get out of Reno before the freeways got too crowded, and also to see how my car would work in the higher heat.  I left right around 3:30pm, and it was hot outside.  I drove the 20+ miles back to Carson City with no issues at all....did I cure the problem?  Time will tell.

Enough rambling on - here are pictures of various cars for sale:

Overall view of the sale floor

Another view of cars for sale


A couple of buddies eating some lunch and relaxing

A clean '65 coupe for sale

A pretty much all original Thuderbird engine compartment

It even had the original tires still on it.

A "six pack" on a 65 289 coupe

This was one clean 1970 Mach 1

Another view of the 1970 Mach 1

Mopar Muscle for sale

Don't see many flathead engines anymore

One of many replica Cobras

A very clean, original 1966 GT


Another view of the '66 GT


No comments:

Post a Comment