Thursday, August 4, 2016

Day 5 - Not So Good :(

After taking pictures of my Mustang at the train museum, I went back to my room and took a nap...that should have told me something.  Joe called me around 1pm, and I headed over to his place.  My oil pressure was a little low, and the dipstick showed it was about a quart low.  Asked Joe if he had a funnel, and he hands me this galvanized metal funnel with a bendable spout.  I haven't seen one of these things in ages!  This thing has to be almost as old as Joe!  :)



After the oil is in, we head on up to Reno to check out the festivities downtown.  Unfortunately, we got there during major rush hour, and at one of the lights, my engine shuts down.  Yup....all the fuel boiled out of the carburetor.  It would crank, but no run.  We sat there blocking traffic for about 10 minutes until these two guys came over and helped push us over to the side of the road (thanks guys!).  I opened the hood, and I could barely put my hand on the carburetor.  It was really heat soaked.  There was a little bit of fuel coming through the inline filter, but very weak squirts from carb itself.  We waited about 15-20 minutes, but that dang thing was staying hot.  I finally grabbed a couple of empty water bottles and went searching for a faucet/water fountain.  The guys in the Goodyear vulcanizing shop in Reno were kind enough to fill both bottles from their cooler even after I told them it was to pour over a hot carburetor.  Went back and cooled off the carb, and the car fired right up.  Joe and I then locked everything up, and walked around downtown Reno a bit, but all the festivities were done for the day.  I wasn't going to risk driving to the Peppermill or Atlantic, so we went back to the Grand Sierra Resort.  That "broke down in traffic" episode knocked all the fun out of the day for us.

We ate dinner at the GSR, but I wasn't feeling too well.  Went over to Summit Racing and bought a 1" phenolic spacer to replace the 1/2" spacer currently under the carb.  Then I took Joe back home, and went back to the room.  By now I was feeling a lot worse.  It feels like I have food poisoning, but I won't gross you out with the details.  I ended up in the shower and cranked it almost all the way hot to get rid of the chills.  To top it all off, the Internet connection here at the hotel wasn't working, so I grabbed my book, snuggled under the covers, read for awhile, and went to sleep.  Day 5....uuggghhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment